Friday, January 26, 2007

OSS: The Ubuntu Experience 1

I still need Windows, of that I make no bones. So many games run on it anyway, and without my weekend dose of Counterstrike madness, with a bit of CM2006 thrown in, I am lost. So Win XP still remains on my desktop, both at home and in the office.

But my notebook however, is for serious work. No games.
That being said, I opted for Linux, which is less memory intensive and does not labour my processor so much.

Which means that I expect the process to be a tad but labourious. Linux -- of any distro -- always is; and even uber-geeks like Gier admits it. The love, my friend, is in the labour.

Having done SUSE, I decided to check out if all the hype behind Ubuntu would make it worth my while. It was a tale of joy and sorrow.

Ubuntu worked wonderfully on my notebook that had a natural reso of 1400x1050. After installation, it took a good 8 hours to update the software, but that was expected. No big deal. I left it on, went home and came back the next day happy. The AMD Athlon chip generally ran cooler with Linux, and being an older machine, I found that the operating system made my tasks a lot faster. No big deal there.

I was so happy with it, I took it to another level. I installed it on a newer Core Duo notebook, with a widescreen. That's where my woe began.

Somehow Ubuntu just can't do widescreens without massive tweaking. Try as I may, I still got the stretched 1024x768 screen, which made everything look like a fat piece of shite and proportionally funny. Like a penguin.

Even melodic toilet seats failed to cheer me up. I'm trying to sort this shite out. More when I figure it out.

No comments: