Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Geek periodicals

So geeks, both fandom and tech, has been increasingly popular of late. I guess that lead to the rise of the humble tech blogs. I hate quite a few tech blogs, in particular those who review other people's reviews, and regurgitate other points that other people make, and nothing else. I yearn for a real Malaysian tech blog.

Then again, one might resort to the tech pullouts in the newspapers. Then again, one might not. You see, there is InTech by The Star, and there is Tech&U by New Straits Times.

Nowadays, InTech is just a pale comparison of what it used to be, and frankly, I don't know what went wrong with these guys. They were THE BOMB. Now they just bomb, horrifically and often with a whimper much like a damp firecracker. Still, they rank in front of Tech&U.

Tech&U is gay, lacks insights and seems mainly to be a PR sheet for local tech companies. There are good guys there, I know a few. What's missing, for some strange reason, is the balls to be a real geek rag. That's the real disappointment. Heck some days, I feel they are better off with teledidonics.

Techies generally have a strong sense of belief. They sneer at inferiority and do not suffer fools. Wired magazine, though not a tech rag per se, is the benchmark for tech journalism. They have the guts to totally pan a useless product, which enhances their credibility when they gush over something they like.

I like the magazine PC.com a lot. Ever since Erna Mahyuni dropped me a copy, I am determined to get one from the newsrack without fail. At least, there's some form of honesty there, and that gives me hope that tech journalism is alive and kicking. Even Yusseri, the arrogant uber-geek who would rather spend time with his machine then fuck, seems to agree.

Other than that, I'm not quite sure of the tech review landscape here. If you know of a good Malaysian tech blog, one not particularly targeted towards the uber-geek, by all means... show me the way.

No comments: